e3 Civic High is a free public charter high school serving grades 9 thru 12 located in the landmark 400,000 square foot downtown San Diego Public Library. The three "e's" represent and drive our mission to Engage, Educate, and Empower.
The Charter Petition for e³ Civic High was submitted to and authorized by San Diego Unified School District (SDUSD) in September of 2010. e3 opened in the fall of 2013 with an entering class of 265 ninth and tenth-grade students. Currently, approximately 400 students are enrolled in our school. e3 celebrates a diverse population of scholars who come from over 35 zip codes.
The unique partnership between e3 Civic High, the San Diego Public Library, the City of San Diego, and SDUSD has created a new mixed-use design model for urban public schools and community-based organizations.
Mission & Vision
The mission of e3 Civic High is to engage, educate, and empower our learning community to be caring, passionate, life-long learners and civic leaders that are prepared for college, workforce, and life.
College . Workforce . Life
While the three e3's represent our core values and drives our mission, the 3 R's (reading, writing and arithmetic) drive academic college readiness while the 5 C's (Communication, Collaboration, Critical Thinking, Creativity, Civic Engagement) drive our Workforce and Life readiness. This is the "e3 Way".
All e3 scholars have clear college, workforce, and life targets including academic, civic engagement, and internships to prepare them for life after high school. All scholars are offered academic and wellness supports as well as small class sizes. e3 supports all scholars to prepare for and take the PSAT, SAT, and apply to a 2-year college and 4-year universities.
The e3 way and innovative learning platform offers students:
- A personalized experience that leverages technology to support and enhance learning and teaching
- All students are supported and assessed each year for college, workforce and life readiness
- Students are supported in college and workforce readiness including PSAT and SAT preparation
- 100% of students take the PSAT and SAT and apply to 4 year colleges
- All students are supported through college applications, financial aid and acceptance processes
- Tutoring is available for all e3 students at no cost
- Over 100 course offerings including gaming, college prep, accounting and college level courses (UCSD and PLNU)
- e3 advisors provide college application supports to all e3 students
- All e3 students receive a MacBook Air to take home daily for the school year
- Relevant field trips and renowned guest speakers for real world exposure
- Design thinking and digital literacy skills for 21st century workforce prep
- Internships for all e3 students
- Focus and supports for wellness and mental health with licensed therapist on campus
- All students & staff use Google Apps for Education in a collaborative learning environment
To learn more, see: